Friday 21 January 2011

Facebook

Allergic as I am to New Year’s Resolutions (which is VERY), I’m actually thinking of making an exception this year. I’ve been on Facebook for MONTHS, and I may just have to find out what it’s FOR.

About 6 months ago, George, our wonderful computer guru and friend, without whom we could not survive in the world of computers, TOTALLY convinced me that it was what I needed to do. A BIG HELP, he said, in getting your work out there and more widely known. And in two ticks, he’d set it up. He’s wonderful that way.

And ever since then, I’ve had INNUMERABLE people wanting to be my friend on Facebook. Now here’s the thing: they are ALREADY my friends. WHAT AM I MISSING?

It’s not for want of trying. Every now and then I tap into Facebook, and indeed, there are familiar faces all over the place. But they all seem to be having a GREAT BIG PARTY with a lot of other NOT familiar faces, and I HAVEN’T BEEN INVITED. There are pictures – a LOT – of people holding drinks in their hand, draping themselves over somebody, lying on beaches, cavorting all over the place, the word that springs to mind is BACCHANALIA. I think Bacchanalia is probably wonderful if you’re a participant (Mental Note - must try it some time). But when you’re just an observer, it undoubtedly loses something.

I keep in touch with my friends – sometimes not as frequently as I should - but it eventually happens. I use this very old-fashioned thing called email. It’s one-on-one, face-to-face, and it works a treat for me. But I’m NOT GIVING UP. I am DEFINITELY NOT GIVING UP. I’m going to crack the secret of Facebook if it KILLS me.

Oh, and then there’s LinkedIn. I’m on that TOO. Now THIS is positively TERRIFYING. It’s filled with words like “Corporate” and “Business” and “Foundations” and “Projects”. Out Of My Depth doesn’t even BEGIN to describe it. The thing about THAT one is – they never seem to have any parties. I ask you - WHERE’S THE FUN IN THAT??????

No comments:

Post a Comment